Monday, September 7, 2009

Why I'm ok with the End...

I just got a Blu-Ray player, and regular updates are on hiatus until I purchase/rent/steal LOST on Blu-Ray. So in the meantime, here's why I'm okay with season six being the final season.

In all actuality, I'm extremely new to LOST. It wasn't until last summer that I had even seen a single episode. Much like it was with my love of Harry Potter, I was resistant to anything to do with LOST for a long time. Out of sheer boredom, I download a couple of the first episodes. I wouldn't say I was hooked instantly, but was interested enough to watch the rest of the first season. It was ultimately Charlie's storyline and The Hatch that had me totally engrossed. Soon my viewing was exceeding my downloading, so I watched the rest of the seasons streaming from some Russian website.

LOST has given me quite a bit of entertainment, enjoyment, and things to think about. In having an end point in mind for quite some time, it has focused their writing in the same way students are forced to be concise when there's a maximum page limit. Gone were the days of meaningless episodes like Expose in season 3. The writers now had to move the overall narrative forward. Having a definite end point keeps things on track and relevant to the story arc. Imagine if LOST kept getting renewed...perhaps we would see stories such as "Jack discovers yet another hatch. In it is a green porcupine that guards the now-living bodies of everyone who had previously died on the island. How will Jack deal with this while coming to grips with Cyborg-Kate's pregnancy? Tune in to the season 11 premier Wednesday on ABC to find out!"

The long and the short of it is, I'm looking forward to seeing a somewhat meaningful, and hopefully sensical, resolution. Also, maybe I'm okay with the end since I really only invested 2 years into it.

Side note: y'all should leave comments. Don't make me whore myself out for feedback! Absent feedback, I'm going to end up writing about my Great Shoe Theory all the time...or maybe the homoerotic undertones in the Jack/Sawyer/Locke power struggle.

1 comment:

  1. "Soon my viewing was exceeding my downloading..."

    Don't forget the role my boxed sets played in your addiction... I sort of miss hanging out in the common area of the dorm at MUDI, listening to you gush about Charlie.

    ReplyDelete